View Single Post
Old 09-15-2005, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Default Question from a Grading Novice

Posted By: Damian Anderson

Yes people do spend $100 to get a card graded. I have never submitted to SGC, but I am pretty sure that they abide by the same rules as PSA. That being said you don't have to spend the $50 to get the card graded because the value of the submitted card which determines what level you can submit is based on the declared value by you. by that I mean you may have a card that you think is a 5 which lists or sells for $1000, but you can submit it with a declared value of $499 just so you can send in at a less expensive grading level. You are assuming a little risk by stating the value as less than it may be worth, but if you are balking at the high grading fees its an option. Also if you are just looking to get the most for your card PSA as a rule brings significantly higher prices on most cards. You might think about spending the $100 to sign up for PSA and you get six free submissions. I am not trying advertise for PSA. SGC and PSA are equal in my eyes as the top services out there when you considered pros and cons of grading services. Just curious but what card are you wanting to get graded and what kind of shape is it in? If you are more specific (a scan would be most helpful) you will get much better advise here and may end up saving yourself some dough especially since you have never sent cards in. I can tell you I wish I would have had some advice from the folks here when I first submitted cards as I made some costly rookie mistakes. Specifically sending in cards I had no idea were trimmed. Anyway I hope this helps.

D