View Single Post
Old 07-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Default What teams won the South Atlantic League in 1909,10, and 1911

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I got that stuff out of the Spalding Baseball Record books for 1910, 1911, and 1912. There's a section on each league. The books usually list players' averages, fielding averages by postion, some pitchers, standings, and maybe a paragraph or two about the season. I like the red Record books better than the greenish Guides.

I'll look at the batters and pitchers names to see if any leap out at me as familiar names.

I keep slowly working on a book. It is about the T206 players. Not so much hard stats with numbers, but more about a few things they did, who they were. I've about settled on the title "Who Are These Guys?", inspiration for which came from that old movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Remember when they are being chased by the detectives across the plains... one turns to the other and asks "Who are those guys?" Guiheen, Portsmouth was one of my first T206 cards. When I got him, the guides didn't even list a first name for him. And you can't flip him over like a 1951 Bowman and read about him.... who the hell was he??? Well I've since found out a bit about him. Anyway, that is why I searched for those books. And a few that preceed them. It helps in understanding who's in T206. From today's perspective we wonder why Joe Jackson isn't in T206, and why Gavvy Cravath is. If we study the old record books from 1904 through 1912, we understand why Gavvy is definitely in, and Joe whoeverhewas is out.