View Single Post
Old 11-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Default Which grading company is the best?

Posted By: warshawlaw

When Beckett's first got into the field, it had one label (BCG is it or is it BGC; I can never remember) and one very stringent set of standards. Beckett developed a rep for undergrading cards. It then set up two additional grading services, BVG for old cards and BCCG to slog junk on HSN and other mass outlets. BVG's standards are much less strict than BCG standards; the cards I've seen from BVG are about 1/2 to 1 full grade overgraded, which puts them on a par with GAI, which I feel also overgrades cards.

GAI's had some issues lately with badly fitted holders allowing cards to slip around. One of my T206 cards was damaged in a GAI holder, from which it was subsequently removed. I also feel GAI overgrades. I have yet to cross over a GAI card that is not downgraded considerably (and I do it by cracking out the cards and submitting them raw so there is no prejudice involved). Admittedly, I have only done a few cards, but they've all come back lower.

PSA and SGC seem to cross fairly closely in terms of grades, although I frequently receive 70 (5.5) on PSA 6, 86 (7.5) on PSA 7 and 92 (8.5) on PSA 8's that I cross.

Holders: Since I collect a lot of off-sized and over-sized cards, I tend to prefer SGC for their quality holders and custom inserts. PSA uses too many card condoms--don't particularly like a floater. I'm about to cross my 1958 Bell Didgers into SGC holders for just that reason. GAI has the worst oversized holders--they got chintzy and created blister pack holders. Yecch. PSA has the cabinet sized holders now, so I guess my Turkey Reds will have to go there. PSA also does autographed cards, as does GAI.

Finally, as to price: I am finding prices all over the place lately as between PSA, SGC and GAI. Usually, PSA sells for the most for postwar cards. I cannot really opine as to prewar cards because the ones I tend to look for have a scarcity factor that really makes the "who" less important than the "what"; they sell well regardless of which of the 4 graded them.