View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 11:53 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Scott,

My "stay away" comment was regarding the stamp I posted. I have not seen your photo in person nor did I know it was the one your customer was referring to.
The bad stamp was most likely applied to NON-TYPE 1 examples to pass as original Conlons. HOWEVER, I also explained that it is very possible "the stamper" would/could have stamped original copies as well not knowing any better and to raise the value.
I have no idea if yours is original as I have not seen it but it does have many signs pointing to being original based on scans/other example scans/what you told me.
I thought this was all addressed in another thread and put to bed but I guess not. I am sorry this caused you issues with your sale.. it was not intended obviously. I just wanted to make collectors aware of a bad stamp floating around as I do not want people to get taken. The last thing a growing hobby needs is for new buyers(anyone for that matter) to get burned.
If you have any other concerns on this topic, feel free to call or email me.

Thanks

Ben

Ben
Ben, I personally don't have any concerns at all about it. I was just clarifying Mark's comment and the assumptions that were made by my customer as a result of your comment. I have to disagree about the stamp being "most likely applied to NON TYPE I" photos, as I've never seen an example like that. It makes no sense to me that the 'applier' would put the stamp on Type I's with the bogus prints floating around in larger numbers - it would kill the value of his real Conlon Type I prints, which he was also stamping. No brain-surgeon, this guy.

As an aside, I received my mounted Conlon from my customer today, and peeling back the print just a little, I can see pencilled writing on the back (can't read it). Not sure if I'll attempt to remove it completely, but I'm tempted. Probably will see a PSA reject stamp on the back.

I've said this at least two times here, but I'm totally understanding that you didn't say my print was not a type I. Perception is important, and my customer had a perception that was incorrect - that's all.

Last edited by Runscott; 09-19-2014 at 11:54 AM.