View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 10:30 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
That fake Conlon stamp type of crap is exactly why I started to watermark, including the backs. I don't want someone copying a picture or a stamp to try a reproduce it to fool some one.
Mark, I just noticed your comment above. You and others need to understand that the guy who created/used this stamp, did not do it primarily to make laser copies of photos appear to be originals. He put it on the back of REAL TYPE I CONLON prints that did not have Conlon identification marks on them, to raise the value when he attempted to sell them to people who are focused on backstamps and not on actual images. I am always looking for Conlon prints, and if I had ever seen the stamp on the back of a forgery, it would have rang a bell. Honestly, I've only seen this backstamp on two photos out of all the Conlons I've seen, and both were mounted exactly like mine (the other looks good as well).

So I have a beautiful, real, Type I Conlon print that has this stamp on the back of it.

Just wanted to clear that up, as it resulted in me having to send a print back to a customer who was concerned (at first) that it was a forgery because of Ben's "stay away" comment, and then later, that it was not a photo by Conlon, which is dumbfounding to me, but no matter.

Until Ben posted about this backstamp, I had no idea that it was a bogus stamp.

Okay, carry on.