View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtjoy View Post
I just put this together, the real ones next to the fakes so you can see a clear difference, thats why anyone who collects the set type can spot these bad fakes real fast, there are some other much harder to spot fakes were the only difference is slight cropping and no gloss on the front.

Here you go-

You can clearly see how much different the detail is, also look at the cropping of the photo of his feet/hands and the gap between the black border line-

The fake back is a mess and not even close to the real thing as you can see-

I did find the guide you had listed that the Shoeless was selling for 2.5 times the Thorpe back in 93, today the Thorpe sells for more.
Scott,

Thank you very much for the scans. When the two Jackson fronts are placed side-by-side, the fake is quite simple to spot. In retrospect, it is now very easy for me to imagine how quickly an experienced collector would be able to see this from a mile away.

I also appreciate you taking the time to provide images of the Sporting News backs for comparison. I have never handled a card from that series; however, the fake does stand out like a sore thumb, even to me.

As for changes in pricing from '93 to present, I fully expected that would happen. My original intent when looking into collecting pre-war cards was to use the Hager book as a resource for identifying them. The thought of using it as a price guide, of course, would have been out of touch with reality. That said; I do find it fascinating that the relative values of the two cards (Jackson & Thorpe) have shifted so drastically.

Once again, thank you very much for your help. Please know that I do sincerely appreciate it.

Best Regards,

Eric