View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 11:16 AM
Belltown Vintage

Gary, I don't know about the 1993 prints, but there was a website that started around 2004 that was selling high-quality prints made from original Conlon negatives. They had a massive assortment available in different styles;i.e-silver gelatin, platinum, etc. I believe it John Rogers who bought the negatives and started the website. He had the printing done by a reputable company.

In any event, I ordered several Conlon prints from him when he offered a deal to Net54 members - high quality silver gel. If I liked them well enough I planned on trying out a platinum print. I still have the one of Rhoades in the outfield that was used for his T206. I imagine the quality of his were at least as good as those produced in the 1993 run by Conlon's daughter.

My analysis is that they are very nice but look nothing like a true old silver gelatin print, or even a 1960's Type 2. As David said, they are display pieces. I asked David 10+ years ago about the value of 2nd generation (and worse) photos and he told me that you couldn't go wrong paying what you would pay to hang it on your wall;i.e-forget about collectability. Since then I've bought a few prints that technically sound and well-composed, but not Type I.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rhoades.jpg (69.2 KB, 302 views)