View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Default UPDATE: T206 Murr'y Variation grades an SGC 40

Posted By: Kevin Saucier

All kidding aside Kevin, if I can get you a raw Nodgrass fake to examine, do you think you will be able to tell the method of doctoring? I think that would help to know exactly how they did it.

Yes, should not be a problem. If done with any degree of skill, it should be difficult to tell. Difficult but usually not impossible.

It's a good learning experience to look at others work. If there's a known history, I can get a better understanding of the doctors habits/skills. This makes it easier to recognize if seen again. So far I've only seen two (rumored) card doctors who's work was absolutely masterful and took a long time to detect. Without a doubt there others but these had a told history.

You mentioned a dull spot, that would be a dead give-away. What's puzzling and disturbing is that at first glance any grader should catch that. I can somewhat understand them missing it...if it wasn't the main focal point of the card. That area should be examined in-depth. Oh well, who knows?

I'm not to worried about others looking at these pics to copy them, as I mentioned each took "several hours" and many steps to complete. IMO this Toront home-made error is even better and kinda' freaks me out.

Global will be at Nationals, just hope they remember to bring them. There are about 25 doctored cards in all, with a little bit of everything. Some were made to show what can be done, while others were made to show how a less than perfect job may look. I think visuals is the best way to educate.

If you don't get a chance to see them or want more info, give Baker a call or email him. He enjoys talking about these. Apparently they have been displayed at the last couple shows. He said the Shappe and the T205 with a T206 back have been blowing everyone away.

Kevin

------------------------------

www.AlteredCards.com - in-depth education on advanced card doctoring techniques & detection with detailed examples