View Single Post
Old 09-29-2018, 11:58 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Rhys, you have been helpful to me personally. And I appreciated it.

I’m not looking to fight with anyone. I honestly just don’t understand the argument that as collectors all of our allegiances should be with a potential buyer about to get a breathtaking deal and not with a seller about to lose something at an uniformed price.

If I listed a photo somewhere and forgot to say it was a Conlon rarity or if the AH didn’t recognize it, I’d hope someone on the board would reach out to me and tell me I’m making a huge error. But maybe that’s not how the game is played.
First off, Steve, it’s great to have you back on here. As to the debate, I don’t think the real issue here is about protecting some buyer/collector who is about to get a breathtaking deal. I will bet that the people who are passionate about this issue happen to be the flippers/dealers who scour the internet and hunt in obscure auctions looking for deals so that THEY can later sell it for absurd amounts of money. If you “out” these auctions, you are cutting into the profits of these flippers. I want to note that I am not referring to any particular member who has posted on here, nor am I saying that a collector cant ever be affected by an “outing.” I’m saying that the loudest voices are probably coming from guys who make a living off the hobby and expect radio silence so that they can steal the item and then resell it TO A COLLECTOR for a huge profit.
Now to address the collector (as opposed to a flipper) who gets pissed when someone outs your auction item. Finding a card first doesn’t give you any right to the card. An auction is not finders-keepers. Don’t be surprised when other collectors find out about it through the internet. In fact, you should EXPECT IT! The person doing the “outing” may bother you, but he is actually helping other collectors who didn’t know about the auction and want the card just as badly as you do. Why are you more important than those collectors? You want the card more than them? Outbid them.

Last edited by orly57; 09-30-2018 at 12:26 AM.