View Single Post
Old 05-01-2018, 07:40 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Connie Mack's big mistake. Trading away Joe Jackson. Let's see some cards.

Hey guys,

OK, I wil give this subject one more try. It really "bugs" me that Joe Jackson never got a chance to prove himself to Connie Mack
and his "elitist" A's teammates with Philadelphia. Why a smart Manager like Connie Mack traded away one of the most promising
rookies ever to play the game is mind boggling. To add insult to injury, Joe Jackson was traded for Bris Lord (a .256 career hitter).
Furthermore, Bris Lord played for the A's in 1905-1907. Mack traded him to Cleveland. And, Connie Mack very seldom re-acquired
players that he had traded away. So, this trade (Joe Jax for Bris Lord) absolutely does not make any sense.
Or does it in a strange way ?
One factor in this ridiculous trade that I feel played a role was "northern prejudice" towards ballplayers who grew up in the "Deep
South" (Al, Ga, Ms, SC). Ty Cobb is a prime example of this prejudice. However, Cobb knew how to deal with it......Joe Jax did not.
You can check this out: 390 unique ballplayers are featured in the T206 set. Less than a dozen of them grew up in the Deep South.

Here's my only card of Bris Lord (an E104). Same exact card as is in the T208 Cullivan's Fireside set. Quite obviously, this image is
NOT that of Bristol Lord. But, it is that of Sherry Magee. If anyone on this forum has a real card of Bris Lord, please post it here.

TED Z

T206 Reference