View Single Post
Old 04-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokelessjoe View Post
Here is a link below that pictures 5 Goodrich Lantern Slides of the Waban Library Center that was envisioned / designed in 1928 and completed by 1930. Apparently this Goodrich fellow hung around for awhile...

My take is that a lot of the Slides that Goodrich produced were for educational purposes - and as many of you probably know - Libraries, schools etc. from that time period did not update to the latest & greatest technology every two weeks like they do now. Projectors & such were used until they fell apart... My take...

http://guides.newtonfreelibrary.net/...39&sid=4096765
I know for sure that Arlington Ma schools had a cabinet of the Keystone educational series until sometime after 1982. At the time it was in a room of the main offices. Hopefully someone saved it when they moved the offices. It's the only set I've seen in the big oak cabinet. When I asked the guy in charge of the media center he said it had been used occasionally into the 1960's

Like most "dead" formats lantern slides never completely went away. It's amazing what's still out there as marginally viable products. Someone just showed a prototype 8mm film camera system this year. And 3.5" floppy discs are still somewhat available.

steve B