View Single Post
Old 03-29-2016, 08:13 AM

There is something about a few of these slides that does not seem right. I could be totally off here so bear with me as I am not holding them in person BUT a few observations from having seen and owned quite a few of these originals.

1. Magic lantern slides were really only popular for a short window of time (1900-1919 or so) and to have any company producing them by the mid-1930's would have been like a company still selling and manufacturing floppy disks today. Might be happening somewhere, but why?

2. Many of the images seem to be pasted on the glass (maybe just from the camera you are using and the angle) which defeats the entire point of a magic lantern slide as they were supposed to be transparent to be illuminated and blown up in a bigger size and projected.

3. No company would have produced a glass slide to be sold to the public with ornate gold borders and then had a photo made that was bigger than the borders.

I don't know, it just does not seem right. They could be totally legit, but my "be cautious of those things" meter is off the charts right now.

Are the slides actually see through or is there paper glued to any of them? If indeed they are transparent and legit it would be really weird. Cool images regardless!

Last edited by prewarsports; 03-29-2016 at 08:16 AM.