View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 07:56 PM
Steve Birmingham

Besides cards and other sports collectibles, I've been into most mainstream hobbies at least a bit.
Stamps, coins, currency, comics, old bottles and insulators, beer cans, a few toys...
I also do a bit of woodworking and metal working, and I'm learning leather working (rented a workshop with a leatherworker friend so I may as well )

One of the less mainstream hobbies is old racing bikes - plus others that I happen to like.
This one is a bike built for motorpacing probably in the 1920s or 30's. Probably a Bastide, but it could be a US builder. It was raced in the NYC area, and crashed heavily at some point.

This one's a bit more modern, it was built for the US team time trial team for the 1984 Olympics. I haven't researched enough yet to know if it was ridden in the games. 12 were made, and supposedly 11 of them were identical while the fourth was for a particular rider.(Only four team members, so a 1/3 chance) It was pretty much just a frame when I got it, and since most of the parts were special or specially modified I had to make them.

I'm still into stamps, but have mostly focused on the Official stamps used from 1873 till the early 1880's
This one is my big find so far, printed from a special plate (#40) on an experimental steam press. There was a small amount of clear information about the use of the plate published in 1902, and a description of how to identify the six different plates was published in 1932, and then the stamps from the two steam press plates just about vanished. To the point that some experts thought the 1902 info might have been a mistake (Luff - the author did make some mistakes) Until I found this one with a portion of the plate number showing. No others have turned up since then, but a few without the plate number are probably identifiable because of this stamp.

Steve B