Thread: Newbie
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Default Newbie

Posted By: David Hornish

Well, I'm a newbie to the board but not the planet. 45 yrs old at present, getting younger by the day though (the wife would say more "infantile").

I am starting to troll the Ebay listings for T, R and E cards but I do tend to buy most of my stuff at shows. Being from OBC I am not a mint freak or anything even close to it and I own a grand total of zero slabbed cards at the moment. That will probably change as I finish off my Topps lists and look more to the pre war(s) items. I'm very comfortable knowing what's real and what's not in the Topps/Bowman universe but not so on the older material so graded cards are likely going to join my parade, although there is a good chance I would spring any card I buy that's entombed (gotta think about that a little more as it has implications in a way). In any event, how a card presents is far more important to me than a technical grade and I would say most of my collection averages VG or so.

Essentially, I am putting together Brooklyn Dodgers/Robins/Superbas team sets from over the years as it seems a nice way to collect a lot of sets but have more than just a type example of each and I have a huge historical interest in the Brooklyns, thanks to reading the Boys of Summer when I was about 12 and then hearing my Dad talk about them these many years as he started going to Ebbets Field in the 30's. So most of the T/R/E cards on my list are either Brooklyns or back variations of T205/6/7 which I also find fascinating from an historical persepctive(I must admit I like the 207's).

Dave