View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 10:07 AM

Default My early Net54 Holiday wish –

I miss the old days.

I’m one of those guys that have been on Net54 for a couple of decades. I believe I pre-date Leon’s captaincy. My collecting has ebbed and flowed over the years, as have my posts, but I’ve always enjoyed it on here…for the most part. However, I’m amazed anymore at how surly and antagonistic a number of members are on Net54. Every thread that goes longer than 10 posts ends up with somebody taking pot shots at somebody else. Weird. Didn’t use to be that way. Somebody who starts a topic with “OT – I hope everybody has a great day today!” would still be roasted within a few hours. Even several of the long-time members are starting to show their rush-hour mentality. I guess it’s a sign of the times. Kind of the “beat my own chest” and “put a finger in your opponent’s face” attitude rather than showing respect. Some of my favorite members (BS, JL, etc.) don’t even post on here anymore because of the disrespect. I’ve even noticed that Leon, who I greatly respect, seems to be wearing down dealing with it.

How can it be fixed? I have no idea. I can dream a bit though. Maybe a "Back Room" button?

The button would be right there by the Net54 Homepage button. It would only be accessible to members who had been registered for at least a year. All are welcome but – attitudes would have to be left at the door. Only respect enters. Members of this Back Room club could vote when they felt it necessary (via clicks on a counter) any other member out of the club if they cop an attitude or target another member. Each member would only be allowed, say, ten negative votes before banishment for a period of time. After that, they could come back but if it happened again, they would be permanently banished from the Back Room. Members would have the ability to police the Room themselves but would also have a limited number of banishment bullets so that they didn't abuse their rights. No babysitting required by Leon. Members could get back to just talking Vintage Sports again just like the good old days. Probably not realistic but, hey, it's ok to dream a bit….

Hope everybody has a great collecting day!

Rob M