View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Default Kudos to Joe Gonsowski

Posted By: Joe_G.

Thanks Barry, the compliment means a lot coming from you. I was surprised to see issue #13 in the mailbox moments ago as I returned from work. I wasn't expecting to see it for several days yet. I was impressed with the layout and pleased to see all that Detroit material on the cover.

Originally, the article was slated for a 3 to 4 page piece but in the end had a tough time keeping it down to seven. It took a good deal of time but it was/is a labor of love and is very rewarding to see in print.

Glad you got a kick out of Getzien's nickname. I'll share another little known tid bit regarding Pretzel Getzien's name. None of the 19th century baseball cards have a correct spelling with Getzein and Getzin being common errors. Only the Detroit Free Press (on ocassion) and a handful of scorecards managed to keep it straight. Reason for all the errors likely surrounds the way it was pronounced. From the June 13th, 1886 Detroit Free Press.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Getzien says his name is spelled Getzien and pronounced Getzeen.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I just hope I haven’t made future Tomlinson pieces on the open market more difficult to obtain

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski