View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 05:45 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't think you're seeing the connection the right way. I collect all types of baseball memorabilia. I didn't collect RPPCs as a kid, but I do now because of my appreciation that grew out of collecting baseball cards. Saying something like "they didn't collect Ming vases as a child" totally ignores any previous appreciation of a related interest, like art, history, or heritage.
... or an interest in baseball. You can have an interest in baseball, without having collected baseball cards as a kid. Once that interest is cultivated, it's OK to then collect cards as an extension.
You can have an interest in college football without collecting college football as a kid (was there such a thing?).

I am always amused when someone doesn't agree with another, and the first leap they make is "you don't understand...", or "I don't think you're seeing the connection the right way...", like there is an obvious mental block.
For me, I just don't agree with you on the point. I think one can develop an interest later in life, without having that interest as a nine year old child. I'd hope people have evolved somewhat since they were nine.

At nine years old, I didn't like girls. I like girls now.