View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 12:34 PM
Jeff R

Default New member introduction

Hello,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I am a newbie here at Net54, but I've been reading various threads for the past few months as I reintroduce myself to the world of collecting. (Thank you for all your knowledge, you've been incredibly helpful in learning all the subtleties of vintage card collecting in the new dawn of the card collecting world).

Like many of you I collected as a kid in the 70's and 80's, but stashed my cards as I went on to college and then relatively not having the funds to collect for many years following. As my two boys grow older, 9 & 11, and get interested in sports and snooping around the house. Yes, those are two of their interests, sports and snooping. They found my old cards, and were immediately drawn to them as I was many years ago. They have started their own collections and this reignited a fire of collecting in me that I didn't even know was still there. The interesting thing is, I've found that collecting current players is not my cup of tea. Collecting players that are younger then myself just doesnt sit well with me. That is when I stumbled upon the t206 cards and it opened a whole new world for me.

To say that I have fallen for the monster collection is an understatement, she's become my mistress. Since late fall of 2014 I have dove in head first and consumed myself with learning more about the t206's, how to do this ebay and PayPal stuff, and basically taken a crash course in this crazy, fun, exhilarating world all of you live in. Of course I've stumbled along the way, but I am finally confident enough to reveal myself to all of you, that I've only watched from a distance (that sounds creepy, not meant to be).

Since last fall I've amassed over 50 t206 cards and some various other 40's, 50's and 60's topps and bowman cards. There is no question that the t206 are my focus and the other cards are only when they fall in my lap. My lifetime quest is to accumulate every front, except of course the big four, and I can't even wrap my head around collecting oddities. I also have started to collect backs, I think a display of all the backs would look really good (once again, forget the Cobb back and some of the other rarer backs).

Anyhow, that's my story of why I am here. I hope to be active on the forum, but with two young whipper snappers and my own business, time is a rarity. I look forward to learning more from the grizzled vets on here and hope I can add something... If nothing else I can always be relied on for honesty, loyalty and a crappy sense of humor.

Jeff