View Single Post
Old 10-06-2002, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Default So why do people poh-poh Walsh? The White Sox' pitcher?

Posted By: Kenny Cole

Jay,

No, I probably wouldn't vote to put Gooden in the Hall. Then again, best as I can recall, Gooden didn't lead the league in ERA 5 times, win 3 Cy Youngs, pitch 4 no-hitters including a perfect game, win an MVP, win almost every game he pitched with a truly lousy offensive team behind him, or do any of the myriad other things that set Koufax apart from every other pitcher in the 60's, including Gibson. If he did, I guess I missed it.

By the way, I agree that Gibson was great. In my book, he's the No. 2 pither of the 60's, behind Koufax and just ahead of Marichal. But he isn't No. 1. No way, no how.

As far as Gooden goes, there is an argument that can be made for his induction. It's essentially the same argument that is made for Phillippe, Reulbach, Leever, or any of a handful of other early pitchers. I've seen that argument made here many times. I don't have to make it though, because I'm not supporting Gooden for the Hall.

Gooden wasn't nearly as good as Koufax. If you want to take the opposing position, great. It is a position that completely lacks statistical support and, in fact, the statistical evidence is overwhelmingly to the contrary. Nor can a very compelling argument be made in favor of Gooden over Koufax on the basis of non-statistical achievements. But, if you want to argue that Gooden was just as good, you are absolutely entitled to. When I was a kid, I used to argue that Manny Sanguillen was better than Bench because he had a better batting average. Its the same type of argument.

Kenny Cole