View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 11:33 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Thanks again David. The handwritten additions to your copy seem to mirror many of those found in the 1953 eidtion of the ACC. I wonder who copied whom?--Did Corson supply info that Burdick then included in the updated ACC or did Corson just borrow a 1953 editio and hand-copy the changes into his older book?
Good questions. I know that Corson knew Burdick pretty well, and I'm sure he contributed research to the 1953 ACC, though he wasn't one of its official editors (who were Burdick, Charles Bray, Gene Di Nardo, and Woody Gelman). I suspect that some of Corson's annotations were made between 1946 and 1953, but those that exactly correspond to additions in the 1953 edition are copied from that edition.

Quote:
Anyway, you were kind enough to reference a 1940 supplement to the USCC, and I am wondering if there are other known annual supplements of any kind that we could track down and consult.
My copy of the 1939 USCC (which was John Wagner's) includes the 1940, 1941, and (I believe) 1942 supplements, only the first of which includes anything relevant to your question. After 1942, Burdick realized that it would make more sense to do a whole new edition of the catalog, so he stopped doing the annual supplements.

Quote:
It seems there was a flurry of discoveries of the Mendelsohn sets between the 1953 and 1960 versions of the ACC, and it would be nice to know how those collectors or the hobby overall shared its information during that time.
A lot of information was shared through hobby publications, mainly Card Collectors Bulletin (which I have mostly complete from 1955 on but am missing from 1951-54), Sport Fan (from 1955), and Sport Hobbyist (from 1956). I've posted a lot of relevant articles printed in those publications in 1953-60, including the 1958 Lionel Carter article in Sport Fan on M cards that you've cited. A fair amount of research was also shared through letters between individual collectors, many of which Leon has (and a much smaller number of which I have). One thing I don't have, but have been trying to get, is E. C. Wharton-Tigar's Cartophilic Typed Listings from the early 1960s with checklists of US tobacco cards. I'm pretty sure Leon has these.

Quote:
The ACC entries as to Mendelsohn's sets remain ambiguous if not mysterious to me. The 1946 and 1953 editions first identified "M5" as a Sporting News set, singular. We now know that The Sporting News was not affiliated with m101-5, as it was not advertised for sale in that paper nor did the card backs bear its advertising. So Burdick would have no reason to associate TSN with m101-5, right? Thus I would assume Burdick was referencing m101-4, yet Carter and Orem seemed beside themselves to have uncovered the m101-4 set in 1958, implying that they understood the previously cataloged Sporting News set to be m101-5. This is confusing, unless I'm just missing something.
You're right that it's confusing, and I don't think you're missing much. These sets are confusing to sort out, especially when you're coming at them without any prior knowledge, as the guys in the 50s were doing.