View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 05:59 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Concerning your last comments, I couldn't (politely) disagree more except for dogs that are completely sick with no hope of recovery. To me this is like saying, well, some people don't deserve to be cared for. I think that is pathetic.
I can respect that.

The dogs do deserve to be cared for.

I've had dogs pretty much my entire life, the most recent died of cancer about 5 1/2 years ago. My daughter who was maybe 18 months at the time sort of still remembers her. (That was a surprise!)

I put it pretty much the way it's been told to me by a few people in rescue. It may be harsh as it's phrased, but it's their reality.

The hard side of things is that the situation that allows that care AND safety for everyone else can sometimes be hard to find.
One of the fosters we had for a Border Colie rescue killed one of our cats while I was in the shower. The rescue gave me heck for not having the dog in a crate almost constantly. (Which is why that was our last foster for them. ) Of the fosters we had it had appeared to be the most mellow and sane of the bunch. one little incident with a cat that seemed to be quickly sorted out.
I liked that one, but if they hadn't come for it fairly quickly......
They did add no cats as a caution on their website.

With thousands of dogs in shelters and running out of time, the rescues tend to focus on the adoptable. Aggression to kids or other animals (except natural stuff like squirrels of course, never had a foster or dog of my own that tolerated them) Makes adoption harder. Aggression towards kids makes it nearly impossible. Here, in the fall we had a 7 year old killed by two dogs not too many blocks from our house. No rescue wants any part of that.