Thread: Trust PSA?
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I Must admit that I have handled far more Raw Diamond Stars and Goudey's than graded examples. Second I have just a rudimentary knowledge of detecting trimming on baseball cards. That said cards from these sets with their thick cardboard can and do shrink as the edges are handled over time. My Father had a Sport King Cobb and a couple Goudey's stashed away with his boyhood hoard of mostly Playball's and some early Bowman's, Those cards were well handled and over time had lost almost all of the white borders around the card. The low grade Grove's have clearly been handled and the High grade examples have led a good life. The Gum cards from the 30's were meant to be handled to survive in a kids pocket, Pitched against walls flipped. They were playthings and built as such. As to your question do you trust a TPG to differentiate between a well handled example and a trimmed card? I can say from experience that I do in fact trust them BUT as was suggested I trust my own eye as well and If I am not comfortable I do not buy the card.

Hope this helps
Jonathan