View Single Post
Old 01-31-2002, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Default Just spoke with Derek Grady-SGC

Posted By: David

I think that the idea authenticating 'ungradable' cards is a good idea, under the assumption that they do an accurate job. 'Beleived to be Authentic-- extensive restoration' or 'Beleived to be Authentic-- trimmed' sound like resonable descriptions.

As this service would most often be used on unusual and even unique cards, I would expect, and hope, that it wouldn't be bargain bacement priced. I would hope someone examining your Ty Cobb back or Fans Cigarettes Bigbee of Rembrant isn't being paid less than a McDonald's worker.

Many collectors will find that this service does not fill in all gaps. There will be legitimate but un-'authenticable' cards. For example, the dates of a unique card may be unknown. Or the examiner may have strong reason to beleive the previously unknown card to be vintage but not with the certainty to declare and 'authentic.'

I personally don't like organization or person who calls themselves 'Authenticators.' They are examiners or judgers, who are giving their best opinions on what an item is. If you ask a top autograph expert, like Mike Gutierrez or Jimmy Spence, they will tell you that the aren't really authenticating those vintage autographs. They will say that they are giving their educated opinion. And that's that's the way it should be.

While many to most cards and related can resonably be labelled authentic, the term 'authenticator' in a company's name is a marketing ploy, or at least a lazy term that doesn't describe what they really should be doing when it involves esoteric material.