View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 02:24 PM
Bob Donaldson

Around 1973, I'm 12. I subscribed to the Sport Hobbyist and they were always talking about shows in Detroit. Living just outside Boston, I was so jealous. Finally, there is a show in Springfield Mass. It's about a 2.5 hours ride. My Dad is off that Saturday, which is unusual as he worked shifts including a lot of weekends. I'm super physc'd, I've saved up all my money from snow shoveling and other misc. jobs. Visions of Goudeys (I had none at the time) and T206s (I had two) are dancing in my head. We get in the car and after about 20 minutes I realized today was August 19th, but the show was September 20th. I was so afraid to tell my Dad, thought he would kill me; but when I did he didn't yell at me, we stopped and had a bite to eat. When September rolled around, I was too embarrassed/afraid to bring it up.

Sometime in the early 80's I finally went to a show, didn't like it much, a lot of rude people and greed. Wasn't till the Shriner's shows in the early 90's that I got back into collecting and enjoyed a show.