View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 11:21 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Van View Post
Sad to hear there are still sellers that refuse to ship to Canada and/or are worried about issues doing so (in some cases valid worries from past experience). I live in Canada and have had literally hundreds of packages sent to me with zero issue. Some sellers state the actual price of the item on the green customs form while others state a different amount. I don't ask them to lie on the claim form, yet I have had to pay duty/fees on less than 5% of parcels received. Shipping takes about 1 week, 2 at the most on rare occasions (though it may depend where you live in Canada).

I hate seeing the dreaded "seller does not ship to Canada" in ebay auctions - I have passed up many nice items because it isn't worth the bother, while sellers are losing out on a dedicated group of potential bidders. Also, for US sellers that do ship to Canada, please please please do not use ebay's Global Shipping Program ... it's just another way for ebay to gouge buyers and sellers. In this case it is the buyer that foots to outrageous fees of this program ($30-40 shipping for 2 graded cards which actually costs less than $10 to ship - and I've heard worse!).

Ray
Ray: I live in Victoria. My experience is that shipping from the States takes at least two weeks or longer but otherwise I could have written your post almost word-for-word. It's always disheartening when sellers won't ship to Canada, but in a way it acts as a control on impulsive buying. If it's something I really want I generally am able to come up with a work-around. Glad to see I'm not the only one who loathes Global Shipping. It is presented as if it were a good thing but that is a total crock. It generally doubles or triples shipping costs by tacking on taxes and duties one never has to pay in the first place for low-cost items. A while back I wanted to buy a non-sports card for a two dollar BIN; Global Shipping was nineteen friggin' dollars. Seller was in Seattle, 75 miles away. Took a pass.