View Single Post
Old 05-26-2016, 09:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornell View Post
Actually, it could not. This is a fundamental misunderstanding that the OP has about technology. And "lasers".

Computers like uniformity. Grading cards is a textbook example of something that humans can do infinitely better than computers because of the enormous amount of variance involved. Do humans grade cards perfectly? No. Would computers do it far, far worse? Undoubtedly.

Bill
I have to agree on this. There are so many subtleties to grading that I don't think Artificial Intelligence (machines) can/could pick up. Subjectivity (and probably relativity too) is indeed not a characteristic of computers. So that being said, I know they are getting better all of time. My freaking car takes over my steering, on the road, if it goes over a solid line. It puts on the brakes if I don't. So I know technology is getting more advanced.
I think if a machine were to do it you would have all sorts of disagreements on the software used in one machine versus another, parameters used etc etc... Where does it stop? That being said, I am not naive enough to think machines might not do it in the future, I just can't imagine it right now or see how it could be done.