View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 08:02 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
This reminds me of the news headline we have all seen over and over again....

“Lots of citizens announce they are preparing to move out of the country if _______ elected President”.

Yeah sure. And you know how many of them follow through and move out of the country? None of them.

Huge chasm between the chest thumping of what people say they are going to do and what people eventually end up doing.

Certainly true that social desirability effects can significantly sway poll results, but I can attest that in the case of the example you raised, much of it comes down to ability (not that I ever threatened to leave the country if a certain election didn't turn out as I'd hoped, but right after one particular election, and with no vacation plans, my wife and I did go to the trouble of getting passports for all of our kids, including a toddler, and looking for jobs and houses in New Zealand; it just turned out we didn't get any of the jobs that would have allowed us to buy any of the houses, or we'd be there now). Anyway, anyone should be capable of not consigning to or buying from a particular AH.