View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 05:56 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
As a collector of advertising banners. I'm not sure what to make of this.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Exc...LOT170727.aspx

"As of this printing the piece resides at a respected conservation company where they are applying initial treatment steps necessary to stabilize and preserve the historic artifact. This includes what the conservationist defines as "Structural treatment" (e.g. clean, deacidify and repair tears to the paper) which in our opinion are the minimum steps necessary ensure this 120+ year old collectible can be enjoyed for another century. The approximate cost of this treatment $3,000 will be added to the invoice of the winning bidder so please bid accordingly. Before bidding begins we will 1) the current photo, 2) a detailed report from the conservator of what work was performed along with a detailed condition report and 3) a report on a proposed "Cosmetic treatment" at the end of this first phase. This way the ultimate owner will determine if they want to apply these additional cosmetic steps in order to bring it closer to its former glory."

On one hand great that it's being preserved and stabilized. On the other hand as a bidder I would like to reserve the right to decide for myself should I win, the steps and company I would prefer to preserve/restore. Also to just pass the bill to the winner is odd.

This isn't grading fees from a TPG. There are a multitude of companies that do this kind of work some may be cheaper, some may better. Again something I think would be better left to the new owner to decide, not the AH.
While I agree in theory, this particular item looks as though it may just be too brittle to ship anywhere as is. It is entirely possible that the AH feels that stabalization is absolutely necessary prior to shipment of the item, and that they do not want to be responsible for shipping it as is.

In this instance I can see why what they ar doing is reasonable as long as it is fully disclosed, which it is.

Tom C