View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Steve Birmingham

Ah, now things come together! I didn't know the contest was that small. There's probably too many beer awards these days.

The fine print on the label says Michigan Brewing Co, so private label but using Helmars recepie. They're currently doing a vanity brand for Kid Rock, so it looks like that's part of their business. (Fad beers like Billy beer, JR beer, M.A.S.H beer were all brewed by various brewers, so it's nothing new)

I guess the question is how big a business has to be to be "real"? If you have actual product -even a vanity brand with extremely limited distribution and a home office to run it from is that not a real business?

Even making leeway for card sets done while the players were current leaves a ton of collectors sets in the Gimick grab for cash category. And sets with a deliberately short printed card? Pretty much the same thing to me.

so 33 goudey, George C Miller, US Caramel.....Gimicks?

Helmar gets denounced for using R319 , but Topps gets a pass on allen and ginter and T206, Tristar gets a pass on Obak, UD? gets a pass on Goudey or diamond stars or whatever name they used....

Is a gimick ok from a big company but not a tiny one?

Steve B
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
It's just a gimmick grab for cash, don't fall for the website. It's just as window dressed as the auctions. The "World Expo of Beer" is just a local competition in a small community north of me in Frankenmuth Mi. It's main sponsor is the local Frankenmuth Jaycees, It's really not huge bragging rights that your subcontracted beer won once in 2005 facing a handful of only local competitors. Honestly, the award should have went to the brewery that made it, not the guy who sent them the labels. The beer is only produced a couple times a year, probably right around opening day. It's just a plain beer with a snappy label. It reminds me of my Dad teaching me that some lures catch fish and some just catch fishermen.

The snacks are probably an even smaller distribution. I can tell you that I have never seen them and supposedly this is Helmar's stomping ground. The site has no distributors listed. Basically, this guy just put this stuff out like his cards, a little smidgen at a time so people think it's something. I'm not impressed, and I'm not giving him one iota of credibility. He's not Bazooka, he's the wedding I went to last summer that had beer called "Jim and Michelle's Brew." It's the same thing.