View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
It's just a gimmick grab for cash, don't fall for the website. It's just as window dressed as the auctions. The "World Expo of Beer" is just a local competition in a small community north of me in Frankenmuth Mi. It's main sponsor is the local Frankenmuth Jaycees, It's really not huge bragging rights that your subcontracted beer won once in 2005 facing a handful of only local competitors. Honestly, the award should have went to the brewery that made it, not the guy who sent them the labels. The beer is only produced a couple times a year, probably right around opening day. It's just a plain beer with a snappy label. It reminds me of my Dad teaching me that some lures catch fish and some just catch fishermen.

The snacks are probably an even smaller distribution. I can tell you that I have never seen them and supposedly this is Helmar's stomping ground. The site has no distributors listed. Basically, this guy just put this stuff out like his cards, a little smidgen at a time so people think it's something. I'm not impressed, and I'm not giving him one iota of credibility. He's not Bazooka, he's the wedding I went to last summer that had beer called "Jim and Michelle's Brew." It's the same thing.
Interesting...I really thought Helmar was something I could just go down to the liquor store and buy. So apparently this IS just some guy making these things out of his basement.

And Frankenmuth is where one of my best friends grew up...I went back there with him a few years back..it's a really neat little town.

edited to add: So this guy is advertising his beer along with his "art" cards...Can we presume that he is paying the licensing fees to the proper estates of Babe Ruth, et cetera?

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 10-12-2011 at 06:45 PM.