View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Default T206 Red Cobb....Still Scratching My Head

Posted By: T206Collector

What it comes down to for me is consistency of grading. If I see an SGC 30 as sharp as yours, I believe that now I can guess why it has gotten a 30 with some degree of accuracy. I've got 520 T206 cards graded by SGC at home, ranging from A to 80, and at this point, I only have had 4 or 5 that I have considered having regraded. The Devlin above was once in an SGC 20 holder, which I thought was ridiculous. I resubmitted it and got it bumped up to a 30.

In the end, I may not always agree with what they consider to be an SGC 30, but I know what it takes to get above a 30 from SGC.

Moreover, I have the same goal as you, more or less. I'd like to get at least 521 different T206 cards graded by SGC with an average grade of SGC 40 or higher. That is a doable goal. And once I get there, hopefully in the next couple of years, I will move up to a goal of an SGC 50 average. But along my journey, one of the tougher cards to upgrade for me will be my Chance Red Portrait.

http://www.sgccardregistry.com/images.asp?cardid=28439&usetid=1015

The reason it's a 10 is because it's a bit dirty and has some minor paper loss on the back -- I should know, I was the one who once soaked this card off of an old collector's cardboard presentation of T206 cards. I really like the card a lot, and it presents better than most SGC 10's. But eventually I'll upgrade it to a copy that I enjoy as much and that will pass SGC's muster.

Good luck!

Paul