View Single Post
Old 02-15-2019, 02:10 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Enough whining from modern collectors. Put the hanky down and stop crying. I'll put the violin away.

Collect what you like. And don't give a sh*t what others think. Collect humels with little girls twirling umbrellas if that's your thing.

Problem with modern cards is old farts like me can name 250 players since 1970 that "smart guys" were hoarding and eventually their wives had to beg someone to come to the house to throw them away. You know which players I'm talking about. Yeah, virtually every can't miss guy in the modern era. Can you catch lightning in a bottle? Sure, there are a few Trout cards worth big bucks. Usually because they are some color variation or something else. But many many many people have spent big bucks hoarding modern cards that proved worthless. Hell, some of them have even written books about them.
If your point is that utility / enjoyment from sports cards comes only from them eventually panning out as investments, then it would seem valid. Certainly for someone spending well into the six-figure range for a card produced in the 1990's, that would seem to be a concern. But I would argue (not that I do much of this myself..) that some collectors can get the same enjoyement out of their worthless junk-era cards as I do my vintage material - if they have a connection to the player or some type of nostalgia related to the cards comes into play. If it's something besides the cold hard cash aspect of cards as a potential - indeed as evidenced by the types of discussion that goes on in these forums - it's that the cards themselves are intrensically enjoyable and worth collecting. I mean besides that what is the value of a cool card that you want to show off besides the fact that it provides a dopamine hit?

We all have different or at least varied if similar reasons for why we collect. I think things can be discussed and perceived as outlandish without getting down to a fight about respect between types of collectors and who collects what. Personally I could care less about 99% of cards that are made today, but I don't disparage those who do.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-15-2019 at 02:11 PM.