View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 06:21 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Baseball History Through Photography - Dags. to Wire Service Photos 1858-1958, Rucker

This is a paid advertisement. Thanks to Mark for allowing Net54baseball to help spread the word about what looks to be a really nice set of books. Mark might come back and answer questions if there are any or his contact info is below.
thanks

My name is Mark Rucker, and I have spent the last 30 years hunting for the earliest, the most obscure, and the rarest of baseball images. I have specialized in photography, since it provides a window into the past unlike anything else. In amassing a database of tens of thousands of baseball images I have gained a view of the continuity and complexity of baseball history. I was in the forefront of finding and researching 19th Century baseball images, CdVs, cabinet cards, tintypes, etc, exploring new territory in the game’s history. Later, needing more frontiers to explore, I ventured to Cuba, gathering images to create the first pictorial history of the Island game. The coincidence of the development of baseball and the birth of photography is too fabulous to ignore. I have tried for more than a decade to convince publishers that there should be a book to document the parallel histories. Since no one has been willing to take on the project, I was forced to wait for technology to allow the creation of on-demand color pictorial hardcover books.

Using a publishing machine in New York City I am capable of producing hard cover books that are photographically loaded from start to finish. I decided to produce a volume to cover each genre of photographic baseball history. Cartes-de-visites, cabinet cards, stereo views, tintypes and hard images, real photo postcards, and news bureau photography each has its own volume. These books are expensive. They cannot be ordered in quantity at a discount. They are printed one at a time, each copy costing me over 160.00. My only hope of selling copies is to adopt the Limited Edition model - keeping the number of each book to nine copies. I am essentially doubling the price to me, in offering the books to collectors. After nine copies of each book is sold, no more will ever be printed. There is a discount offered if the entire series is purchased.

Last edited by Leon; 05-26-2018 at 05:57 AM.