View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 02:00 PM
Bob Davies

Inspired by njdunkin1's post on "Honest, unbiased thoughts from a member, i.e. current boards situation". Doing my best to positively add to the board.

Sylvain Martineau is someone I have bought many inexpensive and expensive (for me, $5K - $10K) items from. I will continue to buy from him. Here are my Pro's and Con's.
Pro's:
- He does come up with some terrific items that are hard to find
- Be assured that (to my knowledge), he doesn't doctor anything, and all his stuff would be legitimate.
- He does the legwork by touring Quebec, and other parts of Canada, and does the "sitting in a hotel, and bring me your stuff" thing.
- If he posts it, he has the item in hand
- edited to add: He buys items in any condition, hence sells a lot of off grade stuff (I see this as a Pro, as people can sell everything to one source)

Con's:
- He does huge volumes, and does not always accurately describe his items (crease can sometimes be missed)
- He overgrades, but IMO has been getting more accurate
- English is not his first language, so he can sound a little abrupt
- He has been burned by buyers, and leans towards the customer is trying to put one over on him
- If you complain, he doesn't take it well.

He also has a second ID, International 2015-2016 (or something). I'm not sure what the breakdown is, but I have thought one might be for cards, and the other might be for memorabilia.

I may have missed some things, but feel free to PM me.

As for the whiny folks who complain about paying Canadian taxes, suck it up; you pay those same taxes when you go to the mall. He does enough business that you know it's a legitimate business.

Last edited by Stampsfan; 06-13-2017 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Missed a Pro