View Single Post
Old 05-17-2014, 06:23 PM
Larry More.y

Kevin, for me, I first built these Topps sets (53-present) by starting with (multiple) larger lots of commons/semis and then subsequently buying the stars to finish the set out. In the case of 56's, after completing the set initially, I came back and bought several complete sets in order to further upgrade my set. I then sold off the lower grade cards as singles ( I had the time to do so) on ebay to more than cover the costs of my upgrades.

In most cases with sets I have built (69 and back) I have followed the same MO as above and subsequently wind up with a minimal amount invested in a nice mid grade set (EX to EX-MT) after selling off all of my dupes as singles.

Currently I am working the 50-55 Bowman sets and the 61-63 Post sets with the same MO...while I still have a few stars remaining that I need (Mantle/Mays), these sets 9 sets range from 75% to 99% complete in solid mid-grade shape. By buying multiple lots for each of these sets and selling off my doubles(profitably), I have approximately $1500-$2000 invested in these 9 sets.

To answer your question, I recommend buying multiple lots, upgrading, selling off the dupes as singles (to maximize profit) and adding stars as time and money allow.