View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I had occasion to discuss this with a retired LAPD precinct captain. He told me that there are no ratios or budgets per se for ticket writing or revenue--the infamous quota does not exist--but that when a cop's rate of ticket writing starts to fall below his average the PD considers it evidence that the patrolman isn't paying attention to what is going on in his patrol area and he will be questioned about it.

As for whether self-reporting a traffic infraction is the same as not using Paypal gift for purchases, the two are not equivalent. The equivalent would be speeding or not speeding. Also, the argument that because I speed I should not have an issue with cheating paypal is a form of false logic called Two Wrongs Make A Right (Tu Quoque): a charge of wrongdoing is answered by a rationalization that others have sinned, or might have sinned.
I just did a Google search and got approximately 3.5 million hits. While "quotas" are almost never allowed there are thousands of instances and hundreds of hours of testimony concerning the officers being pressured to write more tickets. This whole forum could be about this subject and it would be very active. There are certainly no "quotas" but there is also reality. Reality is that there are "requirements" to write a certain amount of tickets at many precincts. We can call it what we want to but perfuming the pig does no good. It still stinks. And no doubt two wrongs don't make a right. Speeding is a crime. Using paypal gift isn't.