View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Bilko Glasier

Default Will the pre-war grading market ever die out??

With JSA recently buying SGC this really got me thinking about this. With the new card market BGS and PSA to an extent, does not have to worry about this, as there are a ton of new modern cards that are coming out every year, which means practically an endless modern supply for BGS/PSA to grade. Now everyone knows that SGCs main market is pre war and a few 50s and 60s cards here and there. SGC does not grade very many modern cards at all. Sure you might see a few modern cards graded by SGC on ebay, but overall i can say that i have never seen a modern collector post a "pop" from SGC of modern cards on any message board ever. Modern cards is not SGC thing, which is well known.

So what i am asking and trying to get to, is when is this pre war supply of raw cards gonna run out for SGC to grade?

Relatively speaking, the graded card market is still pretty new. Im not sure what year SGC began their company, but grading has only been popular and widespread for what, the last 10-15 years? In that time there must have been a whole bunch of pre war cards graded. Sure, there will always be a few new collections discovered that will need grading and once and awhile people switch company's and try for "bumps", but doesn't everyone think that eventually the supply of raw pre war cards that need grading is gonna come to a halt?