View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 12:33 PM

Let me preface what I am about to say. I jolly well know this is a PreWWII forum. However, since the thread topic may be interpreted in several ways, I thought you may wish to know that before the year is through, my own book will be available.

Entitled NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN, it concerns "Those Special 'Free Prize' Sports Collectibles from the Golden Era of 1947 - 1971". It is by no means a price guide, but what it is will truly take one back to those years after the war when some of the nicest items one could collect came free with the purchase of a product. The early days of the burgeoning adult sports collectibles hobby is covered, as well as some of the frenzied auction action from the last 30 years, and of course the stringent standards demanded by today's informed collectors---I speak of course of reputable third party graded cards.

Not much hockey, though I offer an interesting, humorous vignette of the Bee Hive premiums.

I truly hope those of you who wish to take a chance on it with some of their precious card-buying funds will find it worth much, much more than their purchase price. If I was still involved with collecting these dynamite items, I would buy this book in a heartbeat. I know, I know; of course I would say that, wouldn't I? Nevertheless, I do not lie, either.

It took 5 years to write, edit, and secure copyright, after a collecting lifetime of gathering research. I wish I had gotten more of you to contribute your first-hand and even second-hand sea stories. Regardless, what I got from several hobby pioneers and voracious collectors are enthralling to those who relish this niche of our hobby.

Thanks for listening.

Cheers, mates. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 07-24-2015 at 12:04 PM.