Thread: Baseball CdVs
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 10:55 PM
JeR@Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokelessjoe View Post
Just found this... Talks about your two guys... Brandenburg & Sims..

This is from S. Derby Gisclairs web-site neworleans baseball. He is a member of the Society of American Baseball Research (SABR). Here is a link: Lots of stuff on the Souther BBC.

http://www.neworleansbaseball.com/ar...ybaseball.html

The playing of the Mandeville Club was good, particularly on the infield. John Angell, on the first base, and Pijon, on second, deserve especial mention, both gentlemen making excellent stops

and many good throws. Brandenburg, Sims, Waterman, and Brother of the Southern played their respective positions excellently well. A neat fly catch by Jones on the eighth inning elicited great applause and was well deserved.
To Mr. B. Philipert, the gentlemanly proprietor of the restaurant at Mandeville, the club desire to return thanks for his attentions, and for the excellent viands prepared by him and enjoyed by them.
Tom Dunn, the prince of barkeepers, did all in his power to add to the pleasure of our Southerns on their trip. He furnished the best of spiritual comfort from his well stocked bar on steamer Camellia, and by his urbanity and social manners won the favor of the Southerns, by whom he will long be remembered.
The following is the score of the game:
Southern
Mandeville

Umpire – H.C. Johnson of the R.E. Lee Club
Scorers – Jas. J. Wall of Southern, Mr. Sherwood of Mandeville Club
-Shawn - Incredible Info Find! You solved the mystery of this Southern BB CDV. I have been on the road all day and just sat down to curl up with some Net 54, and much to my surprise, the mystery is already solved! Thank you so much for taking the time to help out. Very Much appreciated - BTW - I contacted Mr. Gisclairs a few times last year re/ the CDV and we exchanged emails re/ the info, but couldn't get very far due to the names being incorrect. Thanks again to Scott B. for breaking the seal on those names. (That was huge)

-Gary - May we add another CDV to the short list of known Southern CDV's?