Thread: Baseball CdVs
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 01:31 PM
R.L. Americana, LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwak View Post
This brings to mind a question I've had about the 1863 Jordan & Co. Harry Wright ticket/card (coming up for auction in the Spring REA):

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...preview/3.html

If 150 of these were sold (according to the research), why has only 1 example surfaced? If people had paid the extra 25 cents to obtain one of these images, wouldn't more have been saved, perhaps in scrapbooks? Or does this even predate the scrapbooking era? It just seems like a relatively large number (with respect to ultra rare items), to have only one survive. Or maybe the fact that the Civil War was still raging, has something to do with it?

Also, my 2005 Standard Catalog lists George Wright instead of Sam Wright as part of this "set." Has this been corrected in later editions? I seem to recall seeing a George Wright CDV that was obviously taken in the same studio and at the same time, but did NOT have the game ticket info on the back. George apparently didn't play in the match.
Ken, we actually have found some very interesting additional information that is directly related to how many of each card was sold. The writeup in the previews is very preliminary and quite a few changes will be made incorporating additional information. We will get the more complete and accurate version (which itself may be tweaked during the next two months!) up in a couple of days.

Sincerely,

Robert Lifson

Robert Edward Auctions LLC

www.RobertEdwardAuctions.com