View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 01:19 PM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
I've known Bob Lemke since 1981, when he published mine and Ralph Triplette's 1949 BOWMAN article in his Baseball Cards Magazine. An article which enlightened the hobby on the complexity of this BOWMAN set.

Subsequently, Bob published 5 more of my articles regarding BOWMAN BB and FB sets (1948 - 1953).

So, I don't need you to lecture me regarding Bob Lemke. Bob and I were great friends, who kept in touch with each other for many years.

GOD Bless Bob's soul.
Ted, my 1st edition of the Standard Catalog edited by Dan Albaugh says its a 1948/49 Leaf set. See scan below.

You're screaming at me when you missed the key point of what was written.

If you had looked at my reference to the 2020 SCD article on Bond Bread cards (https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...ines-1947-set/), you would have seen an article that started out looking good. But if you had read a little further, you would see it saying Bond Bread insert cards come with both round and square corners. That's not Bob Lemke's public legacy.

I'm not lecturing you on Bob Lemke. He did a tremendous amount to preserve and protect the hobby . . . and is missed.

I am not diminishing his extensive efforts by pointing out that in a couple of his blogs he asserted that Bond Bread cards were made by AARCO, the playing card company, basing on his assertion that playing cards have round corners and so do Bond Bread package inserts.

Did you read the printed text next to the inscription Bob Lemke wrote to Leon on the inside cover page of Lemke's catalog pictured a little above?

It says:

"To never changed any of his opinions, never correct any of his mistakes:
and he who was never wise enough to find mistakes in himself,
will not be charitable enough to excuse them in others." -- Anonymous

There's a lot of cards out there besides those people associate with Bond Bread. But am I wrong in pointing out that he called the perforated dual sided cards "Bond Bread" and "Hess Shoe" cards when we all have learned they are an Elgee product?

Your beef is not with me. The question is, what can we all do together to get the grading card company experts from calling all the lookalikes as Bond Bread cards?

Mike