View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 06:31 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1949 LEAF cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
Ted,
I thought there was some debate as to the exact release date of the 48/49 Leaf product. Not arguing your point, there may be evidence it was never released in 1948. The larger point I was making is that the white bordered portrait w/ facsimile autograph was released a year or more before the Leaf card, which would probably be closer to a year and half if Leaf cards weren’t released until 1949.
Dan

There is NO debate amongst veteran hobbyist regarding the 1949 LEAF BB set's issue date.

There is evidence that the 1949 LEAF BB cards were NEVER issued in 1948. Before I present it, here....I collected these LEAF cards in my youth.
I clearly recall that they were first available in early Spring of 1949 (coincident with the start of the BB season). Old-timers in this hobby (who
also collected these cards in their youth) totally agree that these LEAF cards were not available in 1948. We were still collecting LEAF FB and
Boxing cards in 1948.
Here is the evidence printed in the bio of the Lou Boudreau card......

Lou Boudreau's MVP Award was announced in mid December of 1948.

Here is an uncut sheet of the 1st Series cards issued in early Spring of 1949.

Furthermore, check-out my 8-page story on the 1949 LEAF set in the OLD CARBOARD Magazine (Issue #9). You'll find it very informative
and very interesting.....http://oldcardboard.com/misc/issue09/issue09.asp.

TED Z

T206 Reference