View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 05:45 AM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon512 View Post
"intensity of the brightness of the white card stock." I give up. I'm waving the white flag (a more intense white than typically seen in homogenized bread cards, must be a sports star subject flag from 1947 with rounded corners). I hope others do the same.

What we see is the perceptional result of light radiating on our eyes from the visible region of the spectrum. In 1931, the Commission Internationale de L’Éclairage (CIE) adopted standard curves for color that specify how the various wavelengths of light coming from an object (its radiance) can be transformed into a set of three numbers that specify a color (its “spectral power distribution” or SPD). The eleven basic color categories are white, black, red, green, yellow, blue, brown, purple, pink, orange, and gray, but each color has tens of thousands or more variations.

The CIE defines “brightness” as “the attribute of a visual sensation according to which an area appears to emit more or less light.” CIE defined a numerically standard curve to measure such luminance. Integrating the set of three numbers that specify a color (the SPD) with the measured “brightness” of an object results in a specific CIE luminance number for the object. For more details, see http://poynton.ca/ColorFAQ.html

In other words, we can measure the differences between the brightness of the Bond Bread cards after they came out of the packages against the brightness of cards fresh from a Sport Star Subjects box. The referenced website article above also provides guidance on how to adjust any scans that get posted here to a uniform standard so that one can be compared against another.

I don't know which “white flag” you are waving. Is it a Bond Bread one or a Sport Star Subjects one? Providing more scans of cards is better than giving up.

I do know that for more than 10 years, many people insisted in this thread the Festberg remainders were nothing more than reprints printed after 1980. My Post #194 above of 05-07-2020 (only a little more than 3 months ago, less time than it took to print the cards) provided scientific evidence to establish otherwise. Below is one of the pictures from that post, a Festberg card on top of a strip of new white paper taken under ultraviolet light.

The card itself does not glow because it does not have the chemical “brighteners” that have been added to paper since 1951, while the white strip underneath glows bright, an indicator of added brighteners.

Perhaps my May 2020 posting was confusing because here and there I used terms like “brighteners” and “brightness.” We will be able to measure the actual difference in luminance between Bond Bread and Sport Star Subject cards using a less rudimentary technology than an ultraviolet light (used here only to determine whether or not chemical brighteners had been added).

Of course, it's easy to give up if you really don't care about the differences between 1947 Bond Bread package insert cards and cards of the Sport Star Subjects set. It may be easier to just spend four or five figures on something called a “rookie” card rather than actually know what it is. It is not reasonable to discourage those who might want to know because you do not care.

Keep on posting the backs of Bond Bread cards and Sport Star subject cards for those of us who care.

Thanks,

Mike

Copyright 2020 by Michael Fried, P.O. Box 27521, Oakland, California 94602-0521

Last edited by abctoo; 08-24-2020 at 06:10 AM.