View Single Post
Old 08-12-2020, 02:00 PM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Thanks for so quickly posting your Jackie Robinson card. Your heart is in the right place as it expresses the issues with these cards that have caused so many problems. There are several different sets with cards that have the same picture of Robinson as your card. That goes to the heart of the matter many want to resolve. If it's his "rookie" card, just how high does its value go? If it's not, then what's it worth? Perhaps, you're just like me and say it's an early Jackie Robinson card and I'm just glad I have one.

As you know, the card has "square" corners. Cards actually inserted into Bond Bread packages have die-cut (rounded) corners and "white" backs. While all of the Sport Star Subject sets were printed on white cardstock (have "white" backs), not all sets were issued with "round" corners. A few sets had only "square" cornered cards (no die-cut corners).

And then, there's the 1970s-1980s Festberg find of over 3,000 sets of 24 different (including a Jackie Robinson card) with "square" corners, all of which have a "brown tone" back, not a "white" back.

By not showing the back, you've made the point better than i could about the need to see scans of the backs of Bond Bread and Sport Star Subjects cards to help tell them apart.

Please, each of you who has a Bond Bread package insert card and a Sport Star Subjects card, post a scan of the backs side-by-side so that we can see the difference between those two sets. The cards do not have to be of the same player, just from the different sets. The more people who post, the better we all can see the difference.

Robbie, I really do appreciate you posting your card and hope someday you get your Jackie Robinson rookie.

Mike

Last edited by abctoo; 08-13-2020 at 06:56 AM.