View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 06:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post
Hey Michael. I appreciate the shout out. Will send you a private message response later tonight. I'm going to post this in my original thread, but as Michael mentioned, I've been doing more research on the set of 13 Bond Bread series. I'm not sure if this will post properly, but here's a newspaper article from July 1947. This article shows that the original Facsimile card was distributed for free to the majority of Black families in Harlem, NY prior to July 1947. In July 1947, it was distributed in promo packages with 2 slices of bread. ANYBODY that wrote to General Baking / Bond Bread was given for free a copy of the card. While I am still researching, this article also indicates that other "picture cards", which I now believe to be the other six attributed to 1947 were distributed at newsstands, candy stores, ice cream stands, etc. At the end of the article, it states clearly that this issue was not limited to NY, but rather distributed in other cities with large Black communities, including but not limited to Philadelphia, Washington DC, Baltimore and Detroit. This covers essentially all the MLB cities in 1947, indicating that this issue was not regional as it was once believed to be.

Great info, thanks for sharing it. (and the others up the thread too)