View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Default Zeenut Thorpe on ebay

Posted By: Andrew

Frank, I sort of follow your logic.

However, I'm not really a fan of graded cards. Among various reasons is that I find it silly that a PSA 9 is worth x times more than a PSA 8 due to a pair of subjective eyes. Furthermore, it's a shame the TRUE scarcity often takes a back seat to condition scarcity.

HOWEVER, for "high dollar" cards, I do like the extra layer of comfort (albeit thin) that grading offers. Again, the seller can do what he pleases. However, since money is often the consideration behind selling - save for those who do it for the love of the hobby without consideration of financial game, but then charge multiples of what it would fetch on Ebay - it behooves a seller to keep the buyer in mind when the goal is to maximize financial return. So, the average seller (maybe not the one question) will opt for the first choice:

A
grade the card, spend the ~$30
answer emails
describe card in great detail

B
The opposite

In sum, I can like un-graded more than graded, but only buy graded for cards in which there are at least three zeros in the check amount field.

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." -- Erica Jong