View Single Post
Old 06-19-2007, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Default The most dreaded eight word sentence in the hobby.

Posted By: T E

Forget baseball cards. My dad, who was in sports newsreel biz, had collected Worlds Series programs from the years he was on the beat, 1948 thru 1961. Multiples, beautiful.

My room was a mess, I came back from camp, and everything was gone. Including dad's programs.

This one is even worse.

My dad was the on-camera guy for Movietone News. Jackie signs with the Dodgers, dad gets to know him well (Dad still wilth us, a blessing, he talked to me yesterday, Father's Day, about Jackie, what a sweet guy he was as well as what a great gal Rachel was)

So dad is setting up the shot of Jackie signing his contract to play major league ball. They do a shot of hoim signing a standard ML contract, not the actiual one. Then they want to re-shoot. Pop sticks the first contract Jackie signed in his pocket. Takes it home, puts it in his papers. Years later, goes looking for it, it is gone.

Did mom throw it out? Or did it just get tossed in one of our many moves back in the 60s?

We'll never know (although I do still keep an eye peeled anytime I'm looking through family documents)

As for my T206 collection, much of it was stolen from my apartment in NYC back in 1981.