View Single Post
Old 03-07-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akleinb611 View Post
Actually, the degree to which the hostile atmosphere of the New York press and public was responsible for Maris' decline has long been exaggerated. Yes, he was treated badly by the press, but that changed from abuse due to his not being Babe Ruth (totally unfair, of course), to abuse over the fact that his performance declined catastrophically (unfortunate, but entirely normal - it would have been amazing if he DIDN'T get some grief over that).

The REASON for the decline is rarely talked about, given that all people remember now is how mean the newspapers were. The real reason is that Maris broke his hand in 1963, and the crude x-ray technology of the time completely missed the hairline fracture. He wasn't properly diagnosed for several years, by which time he'd been playing with a broken/improperly healed hand for several years, which ultimately caused permanent damage.

I'm at work so I don't have access to all the details, but that's the real cause of his decline - injury, not emotional abuse. It's not as interesting a story, which is why it's not remembered that way.
--Well said, Alan, though I do stand by what I wrote. However, I was not aware of how long Roger had to suffer with that broken hand. I recall reading how he would tell Yank management about it, and they felt he was just making excuses or not trying hard enough. He probably had permanently damaged it by the time it was properly diagnosed and dealt with, so he could never use his full power I would think. Regardless, good post, bro. Best regards. ---Brian Powell