View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Mike DeNero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyanksghr View Post
With PSA 1's bringing 350-500+, I was pleased to get this restored example. The general public who hasn't had the opportunity to see a real Wagner doesnt care that its restored, they just are thrilled to see a Wagner. I had to turn down too many requests from local groups to display the PSA 5 b/c of the risk involved. As stated, this one is more fun and I'll be able to accomodate the numerous ballparks, kids groups, etc. who wanted to display it for a day or evening. We had the other Wagner on display one night for our local Police Athletic League. Shoulda seen the smiles on those kids faces!
This might be my favorite post that I have ever read on this board. John, congrats on winning both auctions! The program: AWESOME! The Wagner: Ditto. If I were still a collector (as a dealer, I can no longer consider myself a collector), given the choice, I would much rather own this restored example than a graded example lower than a 3. As I have tried to state many times, for me, this is a visual hobby; thus, purchasing a restored example of such a rarity makes perfect sense to me. Also, I think it's great that you intend to share this piece with the world, a truly noble pursuit which can only benefit our hobby (and, therefore, each of us) in the long run. Once again, congrats!

One final thought on restoration: might it be better to have restored cards authenticated, encapsulated, and labelled accordingly by PSA, SGC, etc., than to have them floating around raw??