View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 04:13 AM
Administrator

Default Who was under bidder in Sloate's auction on Boston CDV group?

Posted By: barrysloate

I too hoped they would stay together, but my partner and I knew when we put them up for auction that the possibility was strong they would be split up. Once I revealed that it was actually composed of eleven CdV's I knew it might be transformed from a display piece to a group of cards. Breaking up historical documents seems to be a modern day trend. Some of you may know of the cache of William Blake watercolors that were recently discovered. Besides being one of the truly great visionary poets, Blake was also a fine artist. He once did a series of 20 illustrations that were presumed lost until 19 of them were found several years ago in an old bookshop. The collecting world pleaded with the owner to keep them together, but they were auctioned off and split among numerous buyers. Because collectibles of all kinds have become so incredibly valuable and expensive, we will see more of this in the future. Nothing you can do about it. In my case, the only way to avoid splitting this group up would have been to keep it myself, but since I bought it with someone it just wasn't practical. Hopefully the several new owners will enjoy them.